Joris van Manen Attorney, Partner
Joris heads the Trademarks, Designs, Copyrights and Media practice in Amsterdam. He advises and litigates in trademark, copyright, media, Internet and ICT matters. He is particularly experienced in providing quick and effective remedies to intellectual property infringements and coordinating pan-European infringement actions. Joris is often involved in ground-breaking matters in the field of trademarks and copyrights, TV formats, peer to peer file sharing, action against ISP’s and proxy servers, search engines, database rights, on-line betting and other (on line) infringements and unfair competition. Previously, Joris spent nine years as a partner at De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek.
- BREIN v. Internet Providers (The Pirate Bay). Representing the Hollywood film studio’s and the music and games industries in various court cases involving torrent website The Pirate Bay. The court ordered the major Dutch providers UPC, T-Mobile, Tele2, KPN, XS4ALL and Ziggo to block their subscribers from accessing the Pirate Bay. Subsequently various proxy websites circumventing the court order were ordered to shut down access to the Pirate Bay website.
- Russian Federation v. SPI (Stolichnaya). Representing the Russian Federation in a trademark dispute, winning back the rights to the well-known vodka trademark Stolichnaya.
- REACT v. Altushost. Obtained an injunction order on behalf of Breitling, Bulgari, Chanel, Chopard, Christian Dior, Gucci, Longines, Omega, Pandora, Patek Philippe and TAG Heuer, against internet service provider AltusHost which hosted various counterfeit websites. The District Court of The Hague ordered AltusHost to block third party access (from the Benelux) to 25 counterfeit websites and to cease and desist hosting of these sites. This was the first action against an intermediary on the basis of Trademark law in the Benelux (2012)
- NYSE Euronext v. Binkcbank and TOM. Obtained an injunction against Binckbank and TOM on behalf of European Exchange NYSE Euronext to cease infringing on the AEX trademark by offering options marked AEX, AX and A.
- G-Star v. H&M (RAW). Obtained a EU wide injunction on behalf of G-Star against Hennes & Mauritz in connection with clothing bearing the trademark RAW.
- TenCate v. Field Turf (Evolution / Revolution). Assisiting Nr 1. world wide fiber manufacturer TenCate in obtaining an EU wide injunction against competitor FieldTurf Tarkett, in relation to the use of the sign REVOLUTION for artificial turf.
- Lotto v. Ladbrokes. Long lasting court battle which resulted in various court orders ordering Ladbrokes to stop offering online gambling to Dutch citizens. Both the ECJ (in 2010) and the Dutch Supreme Court in February 2012 ruled in favor of De Lotto. After 10 years of litigation it is now established that the Dutch gaming laws and policy are compatible with European law and that unlicensed offering of online gaming from foreign countries to Dutch citizens is prohibited.
- Screentime / SBS and Talpa. Court action against SBS’and Talpa’s TV show “The Next Popstar”on the basis of the trademarks in the world famous talent show “Popstars”.
- G-Star v. C & A (DigginRAW and D-Str). Obtained an EU wide injunction on behalf of G-Star against retail chain C&A in connection with clothing bearing the signs DigginRaw and D-Str.
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Dutch Copyright Association (VvA)
- Dutch Media and Communication Law Association (VMC)Marques
What Other Say
- "Seasoned litigator" World Trademark Review 2014
- “’He’s very thorough and thinks along with us. We’re very pleased with him’, one client comments.” Chambers Global 2013
- "He's [Joris van Manen] excellent: to the point and businesslike" Chambers 2012
- ‘Joris Van Manen is "a strategist and experienced litigator," sources say.’ Chambers 2011
- [Joris] “is a recent addition to the team, having arrived from De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek. His experience in trademark, copyright, media and Internet cases will no doubt strengthen the firm’s IP practice, peers predict.” Chambers 2010
- ‘The “wonderfully skilled” Joris van Manen has featured strongly in a number of Internet-related IP cases of late’ Chambers 2009
- “Television formats and ideas according to Dutch law” book. Otto Cramwinckel Uitgever (1994)