Joris van Manen Attorney, Partner
Joris heads the Trademarks, Designs, Copyrights and Media practice in Amsterdam. He advises and litigates in trademark, copyright, media, Internet and ICT matters. He is particularly experienced in providing quick and effective remedies to intellectual property infringements and coordinating pan-European infringement actions. Joris is often involved in ground-breaking matters in the field of trademarks and copyrights, TV formats, peer to peer file sharing, action against ISP’s and proxy servers, search engines, database rights, on-line betting and other (on line) infringements and unfair competition. Previously, Joris spent nine years as a partner at De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek.
- Wegener v. Innoweb (gaspedaal.nl): Representing major Dutch publishers Wegener and De Persgroep in litigation against Innoweb before the European Court of Justice. In a recent landmark decision the EUCJ ruled that the real time dedicated meta search engine gaspedaal.nl infringes on Wegeners database rights.
- Russian Federation v. SPI (Stolichnaya): Representing the Russian State Enterprise FKP Sojuzplodoimport in a trademark dispute, winning back the rights to the well-known vodka trademark Stolichnaya. Joris coordinates the European litigation.
- G-Star RAW litigation. Joris heads the team that enforces the rights in G-Stars famous RAW trademark across Europe. The team obtained various cross border injunctions against inter alia H&M and C&A and reached settlements with a number of companies.
- BREIN v. Internet Providers (The Pirate Bay): Representing the Hollywood film studio’s and the music and games industries in various court cases involving torrent website The Pirate Bay, including Supreme Court litigation.
- NYSE Euronext v. Binckbank and TOM: Obtained an injunction against Binckbank and TOM on behalf of European Exchange NYSE Euronext to cease infringing on the AEX trademark by offering options marked AEX, AX and A.
- REACT v. Ecatel and Altushost :Obtained an injunction order on behalf of Breitling, Bulgari, Chanel, Chopard, Christian Dior, Gucci, Longines, Omega, Pandora, Patek Philippe and TAG Heuer, against internet service providers AltusHost and Ecatel, which hosted various counterfeit websites.
- TenCate v. Field Turf (Evolution / Revolution): Assisting Nr 1. world wide fiber manufacturer TenCate in obtaining an EU wide injunction against competitor FieldTurf Tarkett, in relation to the use of the sign REVOLUTION for artificial turf.
- De Lotto v. Ladbrokes: Long lasting court battle which resulted in various court orders ordering Ladbrokes to stop offering online gambling to Dutch citizens. Both the ECJ and the Dutch Supreme Court in favour of De Lotto. After 10 years of litigation it is now established that the Dutch gaming laws and policy are compatible with European law and that unlicensed offering of online gaming from foreign countries to Dutch citizens is prohibited.
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Dutch Copyright Association (VvA)
- Dutch Media and Communication Law Association (VMC)Marques
What Other Say
- "He is proactive and goes all the way for us; he takes great care of his clients' interests." Chambers 2015
- “Joris van Manen, a litigator with “enormous experience” and a leading combatant in the fight against fakes.” World Trademark Review 2015
- "in-depth knowledge and quick thinking" Legal 500 2014
- "Seasoned litigator" World Trademark Review 2014
- “’He’s very thorough and thinks along with us. We’re very pleased with him’, one client comments.” Chambers Global 2013
- "He's [Joris van Manen] excellent: to the point and businesslike" Chambers 2012
- ‘Joris Van Manen is "a strategist and experienced litigator," sources say.’ Chambers 2011
- [Joris] “is a recent addition to the team, having arrived from De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek. His experience in trademark, copyright, media and Internet cases will no doubt strengthen the firm’s IP practice, peers predict.” Chambers 2010
- ‘The “wonderfully skilled” Joris van Manen has featured strongly in a number of Internet-related IP cases of late’ Chambers 2009
- “Television formats and ideas according to Dutch law” book. Otto Cramwinckel Uitgever (1994)